Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thunderstorms...and memories

We had our first real thunderstorm on Saturday. I LOVE thunderstorms!!! Somehow they make me feel safe. I remember back in the day being frightened of them like most little ones are, but then one day it all changed. I was at my grandparent's home in St. Joseph, Missouri. Grandma was babysitting me...I was about two years old at the time I believe. Anyway, I was "taking a nap" (which usually meant I was laying in bed pretending my fingers were little people. I would make them walk up and down the mountains...ie: my knees..lol. We had a grand time) when a thunderstorm blew in. All that booming a crashing sent me under the covers and then eventually in to the kitchen where grandma was....most likely doing the dishes ;). She re-assured me that things were all right out there, that I didn't need to be afraid. She told me that the thunder and lightning were just talking to each other. She tucked me back in to her bed and then left the room. I slept soundly after that. I felt safe, like a part of nature inside of me had been awakened, and I was at peace with it. When I woke up, I found grandma at the front door looking out through the screen at the fresh world. I can still remember the clash of scents and sounds as I stood there beside her. The smell of my grandma...who by the way smells like a wonderful smelling linen closet and baby powder, the smell of the screen pressed up against my nose, and the smell of the rain on pavement and grass. The robins were singing, and the you could still hear the distant roll of thunder. I miss feeling safe like that. Maybe one day I will feel safe once more.....in my Father's arms. I am looking forward to and preparing for that special day.

1 comment: